Gossip - It's Not Playing "Telephone"

Gossip -n. [gos-uh p]
1. Idle talk or rumor, especially about the personal or private affairs of others.
2. Light, familiar talk or writing.
3. Also, gos-sip-per or gos-sip-er, a person given to tattling or idle talk.
4. Also called a GOSSIPMONGER, a person who habitually talks about others, especially maliciously.

  Enough of the english lesson for today, this is something I find so irritating I had to make a little post of it. I have seen thousands of times when people are gossiping (and yes, it is gossiping people) and things get misdirected in the translation. Its like when you were a kid, did you ever play Telephone? Well for those who didnt it is usually a group of kids, kid 1 starts by whispering to kid 2 and so on... by the time it gets to the end the last person says whatever they heard aloud. Guess what people, its rarely ever what person 1 said.

  It is just like that with a gossip. People arent perfect and they are guilty of exaggerating, omitting and outright lying at times. In the end, having the persons "best interest" at heart isnt always the case and sometimes, mistakes get made. With social media out there now this gets even more mucky. You see vagueness in facebook and plurk posts (twitter too!) and people end up assuming, misunderstandings are made and then that best interest... well its out the window with maybe your friendship.

  In the end you should always wonder if you are doing the right thing. If you have a problem with Suzie, tell her... not Rebecca and Mary cause chances are they may tell someone and then they do and so on. And by the time Suzie hears she may think you hate her guts when you maybe just didnt like her telling you your ass looked fat in those jeans. Its just something I notice, I have seen it a lot when I was on hiadus and have seen it so much with real life friends and SL friends alike.

  I think the moral of this story is to always be upfront and honest with those around you. They may not always like what you say but they can trust your word either way, because they know you arent a gossip or someone who talks behind others backs. I personally live by this rule, it has hurt people I love in the past but those who know me know I am a very straight forward and honest individual. It is something I truly take pride in and I hope that it is a something you can adapt if you are leary of confrontation.

XOXO,
Brie

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up